Tuesday, December 11

Homemade goodness

I've been making my own laundry detergent for about a year, and it's been great. Saved lots of money, no skin issues, works with HE and regular washers, smells good, and exposes us to less unnecessary chemicals. Have you ever read the labels on things such as this and wondered how much of it your body was absorbing???? Yuck. So, I was asked to share the recipes. Here you go:

1/3 bar of Fels-Naptha, grated ( I use 1/2 bar instead for extra scent)

½ cup washing soda (found in the laundry aisle in most stores - Arm & Hammer makes it)

½ cup borax powder (also in the laundry aisle - look for "20 Mule Team" brand)

~You will also need a 5 gallon bucket with lid.  I use bucket to mix then i have 3 old laundry detergent containers that I use to hold all it makes.

Put the grated soap in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. I pour immediately into my containers. Let the soap sit for ab an hr and it will gel. You use ½ cup per load.

Fyi: This soap does not foam, so don't be surprised when you first use it. Also, if you want more scent just use your favorite essential oil. I don't use any bc of using more of bar soap. I've found all things above at walmart

So, since I had such success with the laundry detergent I recently researched and made my first batch of fabric softener. I've been using it for about a month and it's great. I do use the essential oils for this to make the vinegar smell not so strong which the vinegar smell does go away with wash regardless. My favorite essential oils are orange and lemon.

Fabric softener :
1 cup baking soda
6 cups white vinegar
1 cup of water
10 -15 drops of essential oil of your choice. I like orange or lemon
a bucket
wooden spoon
* Add the baking soda to the bucket
* Add the water to the baking soda in the bucket
* SLOWLY add
 the vinegar to the bucket, take care though as it’s going to bubble up like a 5th grade paper-maché volcano
* When all of the vinegar is added to the baking soda and has settled, stir it a bit so that the majority of the baking soda dissolves.
* Get a large empty plastic bottle and pour the vinegar/ baking soda/ water brew into it, add the essential oils.
Use 1/4-1/3 cup of mixture per load of laundry.


PS. I've been working on a new post of our whereabouts so check back soon for that. Gotta get thru Christmas cards and shopping first. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment